Baseball 35

Posted by Jonathan @ RGB Cards | Posted in

It's not like I haven't been doing anything with myself lately. Sure, things have been a lot busier with my boy around, but I've been able to make the most of the time when he's sleeping, especially now that he's sleeping a bit better.

One of the things I've done is create a long-term baseball sim. Baseball 35 is a "what if?" world that asks the question - what if the Pacific Coast League was able to become a Major League in 1935? And, for good measure, it took the International League along with it. Four major leagues, 32 major league teams in 1935. A couple of things, as I see it:

  • American and National League teams wouldn't have moved West. Not if there were already major-league caliber teams in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
  • West-coast born major leaguers would have been more likely to stay on the West Coast. For example, Joe DiMaggio started out as a San Francisco Seal, but the Seals were a AAA team. What if they were a Major League team, and they didn't have to sell him to the Yankees?
  • The International League had teams in Toronto and Montreal, and by the 1950s, they even had a team in Havana. International baseball in the 1930s? Major League baseball in Cuba by 1955? It's fun to imagine.
The league in is the 1936 season (i.e., its second) and just had its first Hall of Fame inductions. I'm blogging about it over at the Baseball 35 blog. I'm not going to bombard you with cross-posts; this is a baseball card blog, and that's a baseball history simulation blog (and a work in progress to boot!). I will keep a link for Baseball 35 on the right-hand side, and if you're a fan of baseball history, or alternative history, or baseball on the West Coast, or computer games...well, you get the picture. I encourage you to check it out, bookmark it and comment.

I try to update it when I can, but as you can imagine, it takes more time doing the write-ups than it does actually simulating the games!

Comments (0)