Griffey (senior, that is)

Posted by Jonathan @ RGB Cards | Posted in , ,

I must say it's been fun flipping through the box of assorted commons. My memories of my collection consisted of Topps, some Score, and a few Upper Deck. But, as it turns out, there's a bunch more in there. Stuff that, quite frankly, I can't remember buying, and not sure exactly why I would have, given some of my card-buying prejudices. But there's some good stuff. Take this one, for instance:

I love this card. And I'm not a fan of Donruss, at all. Their main selling point, as near as I can tell, is that you get to find out players' middle names. But this card all kinds of fun. For example:
  • It says "Ken Griffey, Sr." Which of course, implies there's a Ken Griffey Jr.
  • Senior is a Mariner on this card, and he made history by being a Mariner and playing on the same team as his son.
  • He's wearing one of those early-'90s pre-Lou Piniella Mariners jerseys that I just loved.
  • It's an action shot. If I didn't know any better, I'd say a 40-year-old man was stealing a base.
See, I had totally forgotten about this card. And maybe next time, I won't wait 15 years to look through my collection.

Comments (0)