Contest Loot - Community Gum

Posted by Jonathan @ RGB Cards | Posted in , , ,

Next up in the mail isn’t a trade, but a contest. Jon over at Community Gum busted a box of Topps Moments and Milestones, and, somehow, I won some cards. I’m not quite sure how I did it, and lots of people won far more cards than me, but I did get some cards numbered to 10, 25 and 125. Here they are:


Let’s go with the big guns first. A Frank Thomas numbered 2/10 and an Alex Rodriguez numbered 4/10. I can’t say that I was overjoyed to see A-Rod. At least it’s a Mariners card, but even when he was with the M’s, I never really warmed up to him. Griffey always overshadowed him, and the way he left Seattle for Texas pretty much sealed his fate as a black-hat cowboy in the Emerald City.


Some #/25 cards from the same two players. You might or might not be able to see it in the picture, but the cards are numbered 20, 21 and 22. I don’t know if Jon planned it that way or not, but I certainly lined the cards up on the scanner on purpose.


The #/125 cards allowed me to pick up a Griffey (actually, two) and Ichiro for the PC, as well as a Jim Thome and the not-often-seen Josh Hamilton as a Red. My feelings on the Josh Hamilton trade fluctuate constantly, usually whenever Hambone hits a home run or Edinson Volquez wins a game. There’s no doubt Volquez has done very well for the Reds, but I look at Hamilton and think he’s not planning on slowing down any time soon. It seems like the Reds thought that they were selling high on Hamilton when they made the trade, only he keeps going from strength to strength. Regardless, Hamilton has finally lived up to the promise and expectations formed when he was drafted, and I’m very happy for how things eventually turned out for him.


There was also a small bonus in the form of three more cards for the PCs. The bottom card is from the 1992 “Topps Kids” set. I have to point out the back of this card, to show you the vaguely disturbing cartoon and the completely lame “Did You Know” question:


Thanks Jon for the cards, and the bonus. I know I made a bit of fun of it, but the ’92 Topps Kids card is still an awesome card to add to the collection. I hope to make a trade with you someday, too!

Comments (2)

    Just thought I'd point out that you wrote "Stale Gum" in the actual post, instead of "Community Gum".

    Good catch - fixed.