A trio of Hurt...plus, The Belt changes hands again

Posted by Jonathan @ RGB Cards | Posted in ,

I was originally just planning a quick post to update you on the status of The Belt - it now resides in the NL Central thanks to the Cardinals taking the first two games (and thus locking up the series) against the Braves. This marks the first time The Belt has resided in the Central Division, and it has now found a home in all three NL divisions. Looking at the Cardinals schedule, unless the Marlins sweep their upcoming two-game set against the Redbirds, The Belt will be staying in the NL Central for quite some time.


However, I looked at the numbers, and this is actually my 200th post! Since I'm a sucker for nice, round numbers, I feel like I should post at least some pictures of baseball cards. After all, this is ostensibly a baseball card blog, right? So here, to whet your appitite, are a few of the cards I picked up at Al's Card Shop during this recent trip to Perth. I decided to branch out, instead of just focusing on cards for my PC. I picked up plenty of Griffeys, but I also got some other cards, and cards for other people's PCs, also.

Here's three cards from The Big Hurt, Frank Thomas (not to be confused with one of the other Frank Thomases who played in the Bigs, of course). When I was growing up, Hurt was the Man. He was someone to be feared when at the plate with the game on the line, and a lock to be in the Hall of Fame one day. I don't know if he'll reach Cooperstown, a victim of the era he played in and circumstances largely beyond his control. Also, like so many great players, he had the unfortunate knack of staying in the game just that bit too long, and that colors our recent perceptions of him and his ability. I guess that's why they built in that five-year waiting period for Hall of Fame voting.




So here's three Frank Thomas cards I picked up on Thursday. The 2005 Topps gold parallel is most noteworthy for its serial number, which is #1234. I like the Donruss "5th Anniversary" card because it shows Hurt in those sweet late '80s Sox unis - the ones that they were uniformally horrible in (if you'll pardon the pun). Finally, the "Damage, Inc." business card needs no further explanation - its awesomeness is surpassed only by its cheesiness. In fact, it is the cheesiness that makes it awesome.




Here's the backs of all the cards. This confirms the serial number, gives you another look at Hurt's winning smile, and gives you even more awesomeness/cheesiness. COO of Manufacturing and Output, indeed.
I'll be back tomorrow with another post. I am also hoping to tie up all loose ends before I go back to school on Thursday, so if we have a trade in the works, expect an e-mail from me in the coming days.

And one more thing - Go Fish! (nothing personal Cards fans, it's strictly business)

Comments (5)

    Woah, looks like the blog got a makeover, I like the new layout.

    The Big Hurt is a HOFer in my book, absolutely dominated the early 90's.

    Shouldn't you wait to cheer for the Marlins until after they leave Cincinnati? You wouldn't want them to get the wrong idea...

    Yeah, that's a good point. In my haste to remove the Cardinals from The Belt, I neglected to consider the series wasn't actually over yet.

    Plus, it's a four-game series between the Cards and the Fish next week, not a two-game set. Errors all over the place!

    I really hate having a big Cardinals logo on the front of my blog, but it's really going to suck if the Astros win the belt.

    Big Hurt will definitely make the Hall of Fame. Bagwell got a considerable amount of votes in his first ballot, and Thomas is (correctly) considered a much better player. And - I think he has going for him that he actually vocally took a stand against steroids throughout his career.

    I think the only casualty of his era is that he might not make it until the 2nd or 3rd ballot. But he'll make it.

    That is true - even the douchebag sportswriters who have gone on the record saying they'll never vote for anyone who played in the Steroid Era would have a hard time justifying not voting for someone who essentially has taken their side (that is, steroids are baaaad).

    Call it Ray Schalk syndrome. The sportswriters of long ago were desperate to recognise the 1919 White Sox because they were a great team. Of course, eight of them were (and are) banned for life, so you couldn't put them in the Hall. Eddie Collins was a lock, no matter what. But with a need to honor the team, the voters put guys like Ray Schalk and Red Faber in Cooperstown. It appears that the main credential for their inclusion is that they didn't take any money from gamblers.

    Of course, the Big Hurt's credentials are much, much stronger. And he was clean. Same for Jim Thome - no whiff of scandal surround that former White Sox.

    Thanks a lot, everyone. You've made me feel better about Hurt's HOF chances.