A dignified farewell

Posted by Jonathan @ RGB Cards | Posted in

Sad news today from the Baseball Hall of Fame, which released a statement that Harmon Killebrew is in the final stages of his battle with cancer of the esophagus.

"It is with profound sadness that I share with you that my continued battle with esophageal cancer is coming to an end," the statement, written by Killebrew, said. "With the continued love and support of my wife, Nita, I have exhausted all options with respect to controlling this awful disease. My illness has progressed beyond my doctors' expectation of cure."


The slugger, whose 573 career home runs put him in 11th place on the all-time list, has been an advocate and fundraiser for hospice care. Now, he will avail himself of those services.

"I have spent the past decade of my life promoting hospice care and educating people on its benefits. I am very comfortable taking this next step and experiencing the compassionate care that hospice provides. I am comforted by the fact that I am surrounded by my family and friends. I thank you for the outpouring of concern, prayers and encouragement that you have shown me. I look forward to spending my final days in comfort and peace with Nita by my side."

Of course, this is incredibly sad news, not just for Twins fans or baseball fans, but most of all for Killebrew and his family. But I am heartened by the words in his statement that shows he is at peace with his decision. Not only that, but when the time came for this difficult decision, he practiced what he preached, choosing to enter hospice care. I have a lot of respect for him for that.

I wish him all the peace and comfort in the world.

Comments (1)

    Rest in Peace "Killer"...